Haitian Government Condemns Arson Attacks On Schools

The Ministry of Education on Wednesday condemned the arson attacks on several schools in the south of the country accusing criminals of seeking to prevent children from returning to school following the passage of Hurricane Matthew in October.

The ministry said that it was “deeply concerned by the criminal attacks” against schools in St Joseph de Torbeck, Justin Lhérisson and Boisrond Tonnerre.

It said that those criminal acts were jeopardising “ongoing efforts to allow children to return to school after the devastating passage of Hurricane Matthew in early October 2016”.

The ministry said it had already instructed the competent authorities “to carry out a prompt investigation in order to find the perpetrators of these crapulous acts and punish them with the utmost rigor, as prescribed by law.

It added taht it was urging the population to remain vigilant and to protect school buildings, adding “schools must be protected in all circumstances by all citizens in order to allow access to the education of our children”.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Jean Beauvois Dorsonne, said he has held meetings with various stakeholders on post Hurricane Matthew interventions and to take stock of the actions to date.

“The minister wishes that all the actions be completed before December 20 for the total resumption of school activities more than two and a half months after the passage of the Hurricane Matthew,” the statement said.

SOURCE: CMC